|1961–1965||Primary School in Frohnleiten, Austria|
|1965–1973||Secondary School (high school) in Bruck/Mur, Austria|
|18.06.1973||Graduation from Secondary School (summa cum laude)|
|1974–1979||Studies of technical mathematics (specialization in computer science) at Graz University of Technology, Austria|
|29.06.1979||Academic degree of Diplomingenieur (MSc) at Graz University of Technology, Austria|
|03.03.1989||Academic degree of Doktor der technischen Wissenschaften (PhD) at Graz University of Technology, Austria|
|1967–1979||Projects for Leykam Corporation and the Regional Planning Agency of the Provincial Government of Styria (computer graphics applications)|
|June 1979 to|
|System programmer at Lernpeiss Programming Services, Graz, Austria|
|Jan 1981 to |
|Researcher and head of the geoinformatics group at the Institute for Image Processing and Computer Graphics of the Research Center Joanneum, Graz, Austria (GIS software development, environmental information systems)|
|Mar 1987 to |
|Assistant Professor at the Department of Geography of the University of Vienna, Austria. Research and teaching activities in Geographic Information Systems, Spatial Data Bases, Spatial Data Structures and Digital Cartography.|
|Research activities at the Surveying Engineering Department of the University of Maine at Orono, U.S.A|
|Feb 1992 to |
|Visiting Professor at the Surveying Engineering Department and the National Center for Geographic Information and Analysis (NCGIA), University of Maine at Orono.|
|1998||Visiting professor at the Department of Geography, University of Vienna, Austria, and visiting professor at the Department of Cartography, State University of Sao Paulo at Presidente Prudente, Brazil|
|Sept 1992 to |
|Professor of Geoinformatics, Spatial Information Theory and Applied Computer Science, at the International Institute for Geo-information Science and Earth Observation (ITC) in Enschede, The Netherlands|
|Apr 2000 to |
|Adjunct professor of geographic information systems at the Department of Computer Science, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands (part time)|
|Since Feb 2002|
Full professor of Cartography and Geographic Information Science at the Department of Geography and Regional Research, University of Vienna, Austria
- Project leader for the development of the GIS software system DESBOD at the Institute for Image Processing and Computer Graphics of the Research Center Joanneum in Graz, Austria.
- Organization of the international conference EURO CARTO IV, October 23-25, 1984 in Graz. Editor of the Conference Proceedings.
- Head of the Department of Geoinformatics at the Institute for Image Processing and Computer Graphics of the Research Center Joanneum in Graz, Austria.
- Manager of computer resources of the Department of Geography of the University of Vienna.
- Principle investigator of various research projects at the Geography Department of the University of Vienna and the Geoinformatics Department of ITC.
- Coordinator of computer resources for the faculty of the University of Vienna (11 departments).
- Organization of the international symposium GIS and Cartography, July 8-9, 1991 in Vienna. Co-editor of the Conference Proceedings.
- Coordinator of the ITC research theme “Information Extraction for Physical and Administrative Infrastructure”.
- Project leader of the European Union funded project “PRONET– Multimedia Computer Based On-line Training and Support Service for Professionals” and PRONET/CEE for Central and Eastern Europe.
- ITC poject leader of the project “Distance Learning in GIS” in the framework of the European Union PHARE program for Central Europe (project coordination CSLM, University of Sopron, Hungary)
- Organization of the inaugural conference of the Association of Geographic Information Laboratories in Europe (AGILE) at ITC, 23-25 April 1998.
- Chairman of the GFM (geoinformatics) program board in ITC
- Head of the Division of Geoinformatics, Spatial Information Theory and Applied Computer Science at the International Institute for Geo-information Science and Earth Observation (ITC)
- Organization of the international conference GICON 2006, Juli 10-14, 2006, Vienna, Austria
- Member of the Executive Board for the preparation of the Centenary Celebration of the ISPRS in Vienna, Austria, 2010
- Consulting for the Government of the Province of Styria in setting up a country wide environmental GIS.
- Workshop contribution on GIS for the GFIS group of IBM Austria.
- Consulting for a project of the Austrian National Mapping Agency on digital cadastral applications.
- Slovak Ministry of the Environment, Bratislava, Slovakia (environmental information system).
- Department of Land Development, Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives, Bangkok, Thailand (soil information system).
- Provincia de Santa Fe, Argentina, (land information system tender evaluation).
- Provincia del Chubut, Argentina, (land information system, system specification).
- Instituto Geografico Augustin Codazzi, Bogota, Colombia, and Leica, Unterentfelden, Switzerland (implementation of the ATKIS data model in INFOCAM).
- Land and Surveys Division, Trinidad and Tobago (development of a national standard for the exchange of spatial data)
- Training course on “GIS Science” for the Center for GIS, State of Qatar
- Evaluation of the geography curriculum at Kuwait University
- Advising Kuwait University in establishing a GIS Unit and a National Center for GIS
- Development of training courses on “GIS Concepts” and “GIS Management” for the Center for GIS of the State of Qatar
- Advisory services on the transition process from digital map products to GIS data bases in cartographic enterprises
- GIS Software installation and teaching of training courses in Oakland, CA, and Boulder, CO, USA.
- Teaching at the University of Vienna, the University of Business Administration in Vienna, the University of Maine, State University of Sao Paulo at Presidente Pridente (UNESP), Brazil, ESRI International User Conference (seminars), and ITC in:
- Fundamentals of Geographic Information Systems (U Vienna)
- Spatial Databases (U Vienna)
- Introduction to Geoinformatics (U Vienna, ITC)
- Map Projections and Transformations (U Vienna)
- Computer Lab Cartography I and II (U Vienna)
- Introduction to GIS and Cartography (U Business Administration Vienna)
- Geometry and Computer Graphics (U Maine)
- Arc/Info training courses (U Vienna)
- Computer Graphics (ITC)
- Spatial Data Transfer Standards (ITC)
- Advances in Spatial Databases (ITC)
- Spatial Data Structures and Algorithms (ITC)
- GIS Analysis Functions (ITC)
- Spatial Information Theory and Analysis (ITC)
- Logic and Set Theory (ITC)
- Mathematics for Spatial Information (U Vienna, ITC, UNESP)
- Fuzzy Logic and Applications in GIS (U Vienna, ITC and at ESRI International User Conference)
- Programming for GIS (U Vienna)
- Spatial Reference Systems (U Vienna)
- Theory and Methods of Geographic Information Science (U Vienna)
Honors and Awards
- 1st, 2nd and 4th prizes at the course competitions of the Mathematical Olympics 1971, 1972, 1973 in Bruck/Mur, Austria.
- 5th prize at the regional competition of the Mathematical Olympics 1973 in Graz, and attendee at the all Austrian competition in Mariazell, Austria.
- Johann Hampel Award 1989 of the Austrian Geographical Society.
- 2001: Horwood Critique Prize, Honorable Mention, of the Urban and Regional Information Systems Association (URISA)
- 2002: ESRI Making a Difference in Geoinformation Science Award
- Honorary Professor of the Chinese Academy of Surveying and Mapping, Beijing, China (2006-2009)
Invited Papers and Lectures
- Invited lecture at the Institute of Geography of the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences in Brno, 1985.
- Invited lecture at the Surveying Engineering Department of the University of Maine at Orono in 1987.
- Invited paper at the International Colloquium on Digital Maps in Geosciences in Dinkelsbühl, Germany, in 1987, organized by COGEODATA and the German Science Foundation.
- Invited paper at the International Colloquium on Digital Maps in Geosciences in Würzburg, Germany, in 1989, organized by COGEODATA and the German Science Foundation.
- Invited keynote paper on Multi-Scale Databases at the GIS Brno 1991 Conference organized by the IGU Commission on Geographic Information Systems and the Masaryk University, Brno, Czechoslovakia
- Invited paper on “Fundamentals and Applications of Geoinformatics” at the occasion of the geodetic colloquium of the University Hannover, 1993.
- Invited paper on “Innovative digital technology for architecture and regional planning” at the faculty of regional planning and architecture, Technical University Vienna, 1993.
- Invited lecture on “Geoinformatics – an interdisciplinary challenge” at the Department of Surveying Engineering, Technical University Munich, 1993.
- Invited lecture on “GIS and cartography – theoretical and practical aspects of geoinformatics in an interdisciplinary context” at the Department of Geography, University of Münster, Germany, 1994.
- Invited paper on “Cartography and GIS — consequences for education and practice of cartographers” at Ortsverein Dresden of the German Cartographic Society, 1995.
- Invited paper on “Data Quality in GIS” at the Surveying Engineering Department of the University of the Armed Forces, Munich, Germany, 1995.
- Invited paper on “Contributions of geoinformatics to environmental sciences – consistent storage and spatial analysis of fuzzy data” at the University Vechta, Germany, 1996.
- Invited paper on “Cartographic Modeling and Visualization in GIS” at the University of Vienna, Austria, 1997.
- Invited lecture on “Representation of Spatial Features and Their Relationships in GIS” at the University of Twente, 18 October 1999.
- Invited keynote paper at the Summit Forum and Symposium of Technological Applications for the Development of International Digital City, Beijing, China, 12 October 2002 on “Geo-Enabling the Information Society”
- Invited paper on "Die 'Geographisierung' der Informationsgesellschaft" at the University of Vienna, organized by the Austrian Geographical Society, 2003
- Invited paper and workshop on "Geo-Data Policy and the E-Government" and "Infrastructure Requirements for the E-Government" on the occasion of the "1st Taipei International Conference on Digital Earth" in Taipei, Taiwan, 2003
- Invited keynote paper on "Policy Direction and Implementation System of Information Security in Austria" on the occasion of the "Global ePolicy eGovernment Forum: Present and Future of Information Security" in Seoul, 2004
- Invited keynote speech at the 3rd Taipei International Conference on Digital Earth, Taipei, Taiwan, 1-2 June 2005, on "Developments in Geoinformatics and Some European Perspectives on Digital Earth"
- Invited speech on "Handling of Fuzzy Phenomena in Environmental Information Systems" at the International Conference on the Environment: Survival and Sustainability", 19-24 February 2007, Nicosia, Northern Cyprus.
- Invited speech on "Metadata in Geo-Information Processing" at the Symposium of the Turkish Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 4-6 June 2007, Istanbul
Activities in Scientific Societies (past and present)
- Member of the Commission on Geographical Information Systems of the International Geographical Union.
- Corresponding member of the Commission on Geographical Data Sensing and Processing of the International Geographical Union.
- Member of the COGEODATA Working Group on Information Technology of the International Union of Geological Sciences.
- Member of the Commission on World Digital Data Bases for Environmental Sciences of the International Cartographic Association.
- Member of the ICA Commission on Spatial Data Quality.
- Austrian representative for the ICA Commission on Standards for the Transfer of Spatial Data.
- Member of the working group on Cartography and GIS of the German Cartographic Society.
- Secretary of the Cartographic Commission of the Austrian Geographical Society
- Member of program and advisory committees for Euro Carto 4, Euro Carto 6, the Fourth International Symposium on Spatial Data Handling and GIS Brno 1991, SDH’96.
- Chairman of the ISPRS WG II/5 on “Design and operation of spatial decision support systems”
- President of the Technical Commission II "Theory and Concepts of Spatio-Temporal Data Handling and Information" of the ISPRS 2004–2008
- Member of the Board of the Austrian Geographical Society (2003– )
- Member of the Board of the Austrian Society for Surveying and Geoinformation (2007– )
- Chair of the Austrian Cartographic Commission in the Austrian Geographical Society (2007– )
- Member of the editorial board of "Kartographische Nachrichten" (2005– )
- Member of the editorial board of "The International Journal of Image and Data Fusion" (2009– )
- Editor in Chief of "Wiener Schriften zur Geographie und Kartographie"
- Editor in Chief of "ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information"
Membership in Scientific Societies
- Austrian Geographical Society
- Austrian Computer Society
- Austrian Cartographic Commission
- German Society for Cartography
- Austrian Society for Surveying and Geoinformation
Arbeitsgruppe Kartographie und Geoinformation
Institut für Geographie und Regionalforschung
Stiege III, 5. Stock
Institut für Geographie und Regionalforschung
Stiege III, 5. Stock